Thursday, June 20, 2013

Limits

Media, social media, children raising children, peer pressure have become the norm with constant instant gratification. These are some of reasons the Millennium generation feel entitled. I've been warned. I was given the mother's curse when I pushed the limits of my parents patience and rules. But, they were in place for a reason.

So here I am, my oldest pulling the same with me. While, I remember doing it much older in high school and college and maybe I blocked things out. The need for approval by peers. The need for more and MORE. And, not knowing my own limits FOR MYSELF. As a child, our perspective is based on the limited environment our parents provide.

As a parent, my perspective has changed and continues to change the older my children get and I learn to let go of my fears allowing them to fly. This summer I let go and free it to HIM. I have to do what must be done to show the limits she can push which means she will have growing pains. I've warned her about the importance of respect, honesty and integrity.  I've prayed for patience and wisdom.  My heart aches when I have to punish her but I have to remember consistent parenting will mold her to the young woman she is destined to be. One with values.

She will stay the summer with her Dad and Step-Mom. And, it pains me. I had created a schedule of fun, education and quality time. My baby is sad, her Ate will be gone. And, I can't give in. I need to show her tough love. This summer will show her MY limits.

I pray for her and I. That our relationship can overcome this hurdle. That I live through the teen years. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment