Sunday, May 26, 2013

Instincts

As human beings we have instincts innate to us. We have a flight or flight response to our environment. The human response to an uncomfortable environment may spark a response such as fear, mistrust, caution, etc. I've learned over the years to follow this instinct. Or my gut feeling. As I've observed my surroundings over the years, I've noticed that as humans, we like to protect our territory. We like to inhabit a safe environment. When something rocks our environment, we respond. Fight or flight.

Think about a scenario in your life. What did you choose? Fight or flight? We base our response sometimes on a seconds notice. While others, we marinate in thought to decide if we fight or flight. P

What is considered worth fighting for? It differs for most people. We choose our battles. We sometimes base our response in correlation to our upbringing, value system, priorities in life, but what stays true... Is most people fight for themselves first and foremost. We are selfish in nature. We think of our "Id". It's our basic instinct. A infant does it. He cries based on his basic needs. As a child, they throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want. So what becomes of our society when an adults don't grow out of the "Id" stage? Do most adults grow out of that stage?

I know all too well, many adults who act less mature than children. That are stuck in the "Id" stage. Sad, right? I'm sure you know your share.

But, I'm only accountable for my actions. And, setting an example to my kids to move up the hierarchy of growth into the super ego.







No comments:

Post a Comment